MIA and more

Friday, September 4, 2009


I have been such a slacker on this blog lately. And it's not because I haven't had stuff to write about.
For example, I ate dinner at the Crawfish House in Garden Grove on Wednesday, where they bring you bags full of deliciously steamed crab and crawfish and shrimp and sausage, bathed in oil and spice. Eating it was about as pretty as today's fight gone worse WOD is going to look.
Even worse was what happened later that night.
It's clear my body is loving clean, paleo eating. So much so that when I stuffed my face with the oily rich shellfish, my stomach was confused. The meal I ate technically fit within paleo guidelines. It was just a lot greasier than I'm used to eating. So I puked all night. That was fun.
Fastforward to last night. Went up to Echo Park to visit a friend who just moved and we ate Mongolian barbecue. So yum: You get to pick the meat, and all the fresh veggies you want, and they grill it all up on a gigantic circular hot plate on the spot.
A couple other things I've been meaning to mention on here all week:
1. Fish oil is awesome. I shouldn't be able to lift my arms after all the push jerks we did on Wednesday. And yeah, they're sore. But not nearly as bad as they would have been.
2. I can't thank Justin and Mike enough for their support and guidance at the gym. The other night when I was warming up, Justin noticed my squats were off. He was running a WOD and standing across the parking lot, but he still had his eye on everything that was happening -- another example of how he's a complete Cross Fit machine. Later that night, Mike stayed late -- even though he has to wake up super early Thursday mornings -- to help Pinky and me get our form right. He watched until we were done. And afterward, we talked about the beauty in failing at your heaviest weight: You know you're going to be able to do it next time.
I can't tell you how good it feels to know these people have my back every time I'm there, watching to make sure I don't get hurt and offering encouragement to push me to my highest potential. Lifting heavy weight has been scary for me lately. I think I got a little frightened after getting hurt. That fear has been subsiding this week. And it's all thanks to Justin and Mike. Thanks guys.
And finally, Punky and I were talking the other day about one of the few negatives that can be associated with Paleo eating: the cost of food. She said she's been spending $100 a week on groceries and challenged me to figure out how to reign in costs. I'm going out of town this weekend, but next week, I'll break down the cost of my eating every day. I don't know how much I spend each week on food, but I do know that it's less than that -- thanks largely in part to the Vietnamese grocery store around the corner from my house where I can load up a cart full of vegetables and pay less than $10. That's including a bag full of avocados.
SO: Stay tuned. Next week I promise I'll be more consistent. Until then, the Green Market is on Magnolia and Edinger in Fountain Valley if you want to check it out.

0 comments:

Design of Open Media | Source: Free Blogger Templates