Day 2: Dejavu

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Today has been ridiculously busy so far. Usually, that's pretty standard when I squeeze in CrossFit before early meetings.
But what I learned today, is that without pre planning, this diet could get really boring, really fast. Here's why: This morning, I wanted a hard boiled egg before working out, but I didn't have time to make a batch last night. So instead, I grabbed a handful of walnuts.
When I got back, I ate half an avocado, some slices of turkey and some fruit -- which is exactly what I threw into a bag for lunch before bolting out the door this morning. (That's a photo of the lunch spread, plus some more walnuts. The dollar is to buy water since I forgot my bottle.)
Anyway, I love avocados. And turkey. And pineapples and kiwi. So for today, the lack of variety is no big deal. But next week I'm going to try to make a batch of lunches at the beginning of the week so I have at least SOME eating diversity. Any ideas?
In terms of workouts: Lindsay and I both felt a little weak this morning. I'm glad Justin -- all around awesome guy who owns Orange Coast CrossFit -- blogged today about the adjustment period for this diet. Made me feel slightly less like an ass when I couldn't front squat more than 90 pounds because I thought I might pass out.
On another note, today is my birthday. And I'm especially happy that one of my all-time favorite guilty pleasures is not prohibited on this diet (or at least I think it's not). Korean. Bar. B. Q.
I'm going to look up some of the side dishes to see what's legal and what's not (e.g. can I eat bean sprouts or the thinly-sliced daikon radish that you use to wrap up the meat).

3 comments:

LVL Events said...

so i went to the angels game tonight and brought my own food. it was so freakin hard not to get a hot dog! haha. hope you had a good birthday!

Amy Blades said...

I eat three of my five meals at work, so I cook something new that makes leftovers almost every day. Here's a break down of the past week as an example:

Thursday - made beef jerky and spaghetti squash with turkey tomato sauce

Friday - meal1: jerky
meal2: leftovers from Weds
meal3: leftover spaghetti squash
-Didn't cook any new paleo stuff this day, ate leftovers

Saturday - Didn't cook any new paleo stuff this day, ate leftovers

Sunday - Beef roast, roasted veggies with pesto sauce

Monday - Meal1: jerky, nuts, fruit
Meal2: shrimp and avocado salad
Meal3: leftover beef roast and vegs
- Cooked chicken and broccoli

Tuesday - Meal1: jerky, nuts, fruit
Meal2: leftover beef roast and veg
Meal3: leftover chicken and broc
- Didn't cook anything new

Wednesday - Meal1: jerky, nuts, fruit
Meal2: leftover beef in a salad
Meal3: leftover chicken and broc
- Cooked steak, broccoli salad

...so tomorrow I still have some chicken left over from Monday, steak from tonight, and jerky I made a week ago. PLUS I know I'll be eating the last of the chicken, so I'll be cooking something new. And I actually don't spend time planning all this out, I just cook lots and eat the leftovers until they're gone. If I run out of leftovers then I fall back to frozen shrimp.

Paleo Jen said...

Such a great idea, Amy. I'm going to try that...

Design of Open Media | Source: Free Blogger Templates