Day 1: Again....

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back from Nicaragua, and I'm starting this post as a second day one because the diet was pretty impossible to maintain while there.
I spent most of my time in one of the poorest towns in one of the poorest countries in the world. I was staying in a small, stark surf bungalow, and there was one option for every meal: what the cook there made. There was no grocery store within 30 miles of where I stayed. The chef did a good job at thinking of vegetarian alternatives, but those usually consisted of rice and beans. So there were several days when the only thing for me to eat was a lean protein. I brought along almonds and beef jerkey and was able to stick to paleo foods for the first four days, but the proportions were all off and it was doing some not so pretty things to my body.
The rest of the trip, I ate mostly paleo, but where I had to cheat to be full, I did. I also allowed a cheat day to try some native food -- the most gigantic tamale I've ever eaten.
I can't tell you how much I could feel the difference when I stopped eating paleo food. Felt sort of like when you quit smoking, then have a cigarette. Maybe the first drag is good, but it leaves you feeling not so great afterward.
I'll be back in the OC Crossfit gym Monday. Can't wait to see you guys.
I'm in the south bay for the rest of the week. Going to drop in a Xfit gym up here.
On another note: An anonymous commenter wrote the other day that I should read up on paleo, and I totally agree. So I'm starting "Paleo Diet for Athletes" by Loren Cordain, PhD. so I can have a better understanding of this.
That being said, a three-month paleo challenge is hardly "drinking the Kool-Aid." It's an experiment, a way to see whether this makes me feel good and gets positive results. Part of the reason for blogging about it is to document that, and to clarify things I might not understand with the help of people who read this. So if you see something I'm eating that isn't paleo, let me know. And please explain why it's bad. But telling me that I'm somehow brain washed and that my CrossFit instructors' advice is way off just because I post a photo of some organic turkey meat is hardly productive.

3 comments:

Justin Flynn said...

Jen,

The book you want to read is the original Paleo Diet. The one for athletes is geared towards an endurance athlete which is not what CrossFit is. We are a primarily anaerobic sport and the recomendations in the latter book would not be appropriate. I read the last anonymous posters comments and I would like to say I have read both Paleo Diet books as well as heard Dr. Cordain at a seminar. My experience with the benefits of a Paleo lifestyle has been firsthand not from hearsay. My step father has type II diabetes and was about 100 lbs overweight. He has dropped two pant sizes since going "paleo" two months ago. Thats with very little exercise as well. In addition all the athletes that I work with in the CF community have shown tremendous gains in strength, power and stamina with a paleo diet. It is not a diet nor is it a fad. It is evolutionary biology. Mankind and his ancestors have been eating, meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, little starch, and no sugar for thousands of years. Are you going to question the validity of eating a diet that has been tested and worked for millenia? The attempt to question the choice of packaged lunch meat is absurd. Would it be better to slice the fucking meat off the bird post slaughter? Yes without a doubt. Realistic no. Trader Joes turkey breast which that was is an absolutely great choice for a lunch. Raw almond butter is also a great selection for good fats as well as the apple she had it with. Your comments are off mark and clearly your experience in the CrossFit community is limited at best. Stick to the Ironman buffet table of m&m's, peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, and fig newtons and we will see how you do at the CrossFit classics of Fran, Helen, Murph, Diane, and Grace. At 6'3 206# I can deadlift 2.5x my bodyweight, squat 2x bodyweight, do 48 pullups in a row, 500m row in 1:21.9, 400m run in 1:01, and my first and only marathon in 3:36. All the while on a paleo diet. What do you got?

Paleo Jen said...

Thanks Justin. I'll pick up the straight up Paleo book tomorrow. Can't wait to get back into the gym. Worked out tonight at CrossFit South Bay with some amazing athletes and good friends. Still, as they say, there's no place like home.

LVL Events said...

jen welcome back!! i can't wait to start working out with you again. i can't believe the difference it makes to have you working out with me every day. see you monday!!

Design of Open Media | Source: Free Blogger Templates