Day 6: After the marathon

Saturday, August 1, 2009


Ok, so I'm not talking about a real marathon. But the past two days have felt like one: Up before 6, in bed after midnight, with jam-packed days.
And miraculously, no need to cheat.
I owe a big part of that to two people who helped me out huge this week.
First meet Laylan, my roommate and dear friend. I had one hour after work on Thursday to pack for a trip, shower, take apart my bed for the new mattress delivery guys and eat before I had to rush to LA for a meeting. Laylan to the rescue.
I've got to start by saying, Lay is a great cook. And part of the reason for that is she's not cheap with the ingredients that make things taste delicious, such as olive oil and cheese and cream and bananas fried in butter with ice cream and Nutella. So when I first told her I was doing paleo, the conversation went something like this:
"What about rice?"
Me: "No rice."
Lay: "But you can have tortilla chips?"
Me: "No."
Lay: "Golden Spoon?"
Me: "I wish"
Lay: "Good luck with that.."
So fast forward to Thursday, and Laylan tells me that she's going to have dinner ready so I can just eat really fast and leave. She grilled cod topped with a homemade sauce of pureed garlic and spices from her garden. Then she baked cauliflower with spicy red flakes on top and made a paleo version of caprese (without the cheese, but add pine nuts). Um, hello five star restaurant in my living room!!












So awesome person #2 is Forrest. Let me start by saying that Friday was equally nuts. I was up at 5 a.m. to get to the airport for a quick work trip up the coast. Didn't have time to eat before I left, so I ended up having this sort of disgusting scramble at LAX:
I also grabbed some almonds and water at the airport for snacking later that day, and I raised some eyebrows at lunch, when, at this fancy restaurant with a pretty limited but very specific menu, I was ordered my meal with tons of modifications and turned down the waiter's offer for a free dessert.
My returning flight was delayed and didn't get in until 9. But I hadn't eaten anything but coffee and almonds since 2, so Forrest picked me up from the airport, and when I was showering and about to pass out, he was grilling steaks and veggies: broccoli and artichoke hearts. It was so good, and I'm bummed that I was too tired to think of taking a picture of it.
So this brings me to a new dilemma: I leave next week for a week-long surf trip in Nicaragua. I'm going to pack a couple bags of nuts, maybe some nut butter, and beef jerky in case the villages where we go don't have enough paleo food. Anyone have some suggestions for what else I should do to prepare for that?
When I can find a computer, I'll update from there about how THAT's going.

0 comments:

Design of Open Media | Source: Free Blogger Templates