Day 7: Carnivorous cravings

Sunday, August 2, 2009

So today ends the first week of paleo challenge. I'm feeling great. And just now noticed, that instead of craving frozen yogurt or nachos, all I really want to eat is meat.
Anyway, I like lists. So I'm going to list some of the paleo foods I'm really loving so far.

  • Sparkling water: It cured my cravings for diet coke quick. And it's so much more refreshing. Squeeze in some oranges and it's like a virgin paleo mimosa.
  • Almond butter: So good on fresh apples.
  • Paleo smoothie: Frozen blueberries, strawberries, a small splash of fresh squeezed orange juice with no sugar added and heavy whipping cream. Blended. Forrest's CrossFit trainer told him the heavy cream is ok because it's not pasteurized and processed the way regular milk is. Let me know if you hear differently.
  • Turkey slices with avocado.
And here are some things I'm still missing.
  • Hummus
  • Cheese

3 comments:

LVL Events said...

i also heard heavy whipping is paleo so i think we are in the clear!

Anonymous said...

I see you're drinking the Crossfit paleo Kool-Aid, too. I am a Crossfitter, Ironman triathlete and all around endurance athlete. I'm astounded at the amount of misinformation being floated around in the Crossfit circles, especially concerning paleo and Zone concepts. It seems as long as it comes from a Crossfit coach, blog or xfit journal, it must be the gospel truth. You might start by reading Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet and especially Paleo Diet for Athletes. I have yet to meet a Crossfit "Paleo Expert" who has read a Paleo or Zone book. At any rate, most of the heavy cream that I've seen is "Ultra Pasteurized"--even the organic stuff. That means it's heated to 280 degrees for at least 2 seconds. But don't worry, so is your OJ (which isn't Paleo at all.) And a little bit won't screw up your Paleo diet. At least not any more than those giant blobs of Almond butter full of Omega 6 fats next to your highly processed lunch meat...but I'm sure there's a Crossfit Journal article that says ham shot full of nitrates is good for you.

LVL Events said...

isn't it kind of funny that someone posts something like this but leaves it anonymous. jen keep up the great posts and hard work on your paleo challenge!

Design of Open Media | Source: Free Blogger Templates