Supplement suggestions

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I have a confession.
I know I'm supposed to be taking handfuls of fish oil every day. And some days, I do. But others (and by others, I mean most), I forget. Which also could be contributing to some of the more annoying changes I've experienced since starting Paleo a month ago.
(I've written about the girl issues. Here's another weird one: Every once in awhile after a day when we're working with heavier weights, my fingers will swell the next day. And sometimes my knuckles will bruise, even though I haven't knocked them on anything.)
SO, I know I should be taking fish oil religiously, and that it will help my body weather some of these changes and just BE healthier. And I'm going to Costco today to buy the gigantic bottle Justin told us about when we all started. I was feeling pretty good about the newfound committment to taking supplements this morning when I peeked at the South Bay Crossfit website and saw a really thorough and interesting post about even more supplements I should consider taking.
Mariessa makes some good suggestions, and I love how she explains what each supplement is and how it's supposed to help you change. I don't think I'm ready to fill my medicine cabinet with funny-smelling pills just yet, but I think I'll try some of them out. This one is first:
"Consider adding ALA (alpha-lipoic adid) at 500mg per day. ALA is a potent antioxidant and is key to glutathione production in the body (yet another antioxidant). It may also help improve insulin sensitivity, especially when transitioning from a heavily carb-based diet."
So which supplements are all of you taking? And how do you decide which are right for you?
(Oh, and that's Mackenzie in the picture up there. She just beat all the girls in the totally cindy challenge. Awesome work, girl!)

0 comments:

Design of Open Media | Source: Free Blogger Templates