Strange changes

Thursday, August 20, 2009

A warning: Do not read this if you're uncomfortable with girl issues, e.g. you're a guy.
Seriously.
This is your last chance to stop reading.
So I debated for awhile about whether to write something about this, but since this blog is supposed to be about adjusting to paleo and tracking all the changes that come with it, I decided I should, especially in case this is happening to others.
Mid-way through the first month on Paleo, I started spotting when I wasn't supposed to be. Heavily. That's never happened to me before, and since my diet and weight loss (11 pounds since starting Crossfit, woohoo!) are the only things that have changed in recent months, I figure that might be the cause.
So I've been looking online and found a couple message board discussions (here is one, and another) about women on low-carb diets experiencing the same thing. But so far, I haven't found anything from a trusted online source about why these changes are happening.
So I asked Forrest to talk to his CrossFit trainer Mariessa about it. While she could easily kick my ass with one arm, she's also one of the nicest people around. Mariessa says spotting is normal as my body adjusts to the changes in my diet at the same time it's handling the shock of intense exercise. Nothing to worry about, and it will go away soon, once my body gets used to life without sugar highs and lows.
Another friend heard that eating Greek yogurt would help -- something about girls needing the enzymes. Mariessa disagrees, and suggested not to stray from the diet until my body adjusts. Eventually, you can start adding back foods to see how you feel and what works for you, she says. But at first, better to go all or nothing.
To be honest, my review of info online about this topic is pretty limited, and I'm interested in learning more. So if anyone has had a similar experience, or read anything about this, post it here. And if you're all completely grossed out, sorry. But don't say I didn't warn you!

2 comments:

Punky said...

Hey Girl, I can tell you that I have had some changes as well. First I actually stopped getting my period entirely!! The first month I had NOTHING, now I have very little for maybe a couple days. In the research I have done this seems pretty normal especially since I used to drink a gallon of milk in 3 days and eat a ton of bread, both of which I eat none now. I also talked to my friend who is a pro-endurance mountain biker and she told me similar stories. So on that note I think you are fine. I do eat greek yogart for breakfast. BUT I am 100% zone, 90% Paleo. Nice job on the weight loss!!

Paleo Jen said...

Lucky! I'm going to take your advice from today and check in with my doctor. I'm sure it's fine, but it's definitely worth an expert opinion. Especially since it started again today. WTF?!

Design of Open Media | Source: Free Blogger Templates